In the old days of word processing, creating a PDF file is primarily used for publishing eBooks or other reading materials such as research, case studies, etc. But in the modern days, more and more individuals are choosing to use a PDF file in sending their day-to-day documents such as official reports, minutes of the meeting, or even school projects. Many tech-savvy young professionals prefer to use or submit PDF formats of their files to make sure their authenticity and to guarantee their security.
Over the years, there is no doubt that PDF has gained popularity across all industries, making it a viable necessity in their daily office activities. But before you continue converting Doc to PDF files, here are some things that you need to know about it.
What is a PDF file?
PDF stands for portable document format. A PDF is the image finish of your word document. It is a converted file that transforms your file from an editable into a non-editable file. Primarily, it is used to save a file to a format that cannot be modified. It is one of the oldest, most convenient ways of saving a file. It is also accessible to both desktop and mobile devices, which makes it easier to share the document with whoever needs it.
Who created the PDF?
PDF is a famous creation of Adobe Systems in the early 1990s. It was initially introduced at the Windows and OS|2 Conference in January 1993. When most users learned the value of using PDF, many found it more efficient, making it more popular over the years. Because of this, millions and millions of people have preferred to use it since.
When has PDF become widely available?
When it was launched, the software remained a proprietary format owned by Adobe Systems. It was only in 2008 when the company released an open standard. Through this, PDF has become more accessible to many different platforms and operating systems. This increased the format’s popularity making it one of the most used file formats in the world.
When to use PDF?
There are no specific guidelines or limitations as to where you should use a PDF file. Every file can be converted to PDF. Moreover, this specific file format is user-friendly and does not have any restrictions on how and where to use it. PDF is a free format that you can anytime, anywhere, and in many cases.
However, if you are looking to secure the content and formatting of your file, it’s ideal to use a PDF format. For example, if you are creating a report that has graphs and images in it, it is recommended to convert it to PDF to make sure that the layout and format will not change. Furthermore, if you are looking to compress the size of your file, you can also consider using PDF.
Here are some more incidents when a PDF is ideal to use:
- When you are submitting a thesis or research paper to a professor, and you want to make sure that your file is secured.
- When you are sharing company policies with the entire office and would need to guarantee that no one alters it.
- When you are sending confidential financial documents for reviews such as payroll, employee bonuses, etc. and you need to secure the files.
- When you need to send an urgent file to your superior that has no access to a computer or any device that has no Microsoft Word or any word-processing document.
- When you are sharing a watermarked or signed file, and you want to make sure to protect the file and the people behind it.
Why should you use PDF?
There are a lot of benefits when using PDF. Here are some of them:
- It is uneditable – you can make sure that your file is safe, and you can not alter it when you save it in PDF. There is no way for a recipient to change the content of your file.
- It keeps the formatting – as mentioned above, PDF saves the format of your document. Regardless if you are using a fancy font or a unique table, PDF is sure to keep it.
- It’s secured – You can encrypt PDF files with passwords and user settings. You can guarantee that the content of your document will only be accessed by authorized persons.
- It’s accessible via mobile devices – You can access the files through smartphones and tablets. It’s ideal for the on-the-go writer who needs to proofread at any convenient time.
How to convert to PDF using PDFBear?
There are many ways to convert an existing document file into a PDF file. First, if your word processing document can do so, you can save an existing doc file as a PDF. However, if you don’t have an option, you can convert it online or download it from a reliable doc to PDF converter like PDFBear. It will be as easy as uploading your document and processing it in no time. PDFBear is the ideal Doc to PDF converter you can use for free! Check out PDFBear now and try converting Doc to PDF in seconds.
LiveWin is a popular Tech Blog where you can find the latest happenings in the Tech World whether be it about how to, software, gadgets, news, apps, reviews, gaming, etc. If you are a good writer and want to contribute then you can submit a guest post technology using the contact page.