Many Fallout 4 fans complain about the game crashing on startup. The chances of crashing are random but they do bother the players when they intend to enjoy the adventure and thrill but they don’t let this happen. The game may refuse to launch immediately after the start-up or the same can happen a few minutes after the startup.
If you are using your favorite OS on the desktop like Windows 10 then don’t feel helpless. We have come up with all the necessary information that can assist you in understanding and then resolving the problem the way you want it. There are different solutions available and in case one does not work you can try switching to another mode of correction.
Read More: VAC Was Unable To Verify Your Game Session
Why Is Fallout 4 Crashing On PC?
There are diverse reasons for which Fallout 4 may crash. The common issue found by the software experts behind the crashing of your favorite game on startup include
- Hardware incompatibility
- Corrupt or outdated graphics card driver
- Antivirus operating in the background
- Non-supportive game settings
- Inaccurate video resolution
As the hardware and software settings vary from player to player and system to the system, therefore, it is hard to determine what can be one solid reason for the whole problem.
Considering the various problems mentioned above the guide intends to cover all possible fixes related to the crashing of Fallout 4 on startup. If the problem happens because of inadequate system requirements then it is important to update your system prior to doing anything else.
Read More: Factors To Consider When Buying A Laptop
Fixing The Problem
Some solutions to fix the issues with the crashing Fallout 4 are as follows
1.Getting The Latest Patch
The patches are regularly updated to improve the performance of the game and they also help in fighting back the scary bugs in the system. If you are not able to play Fallout 4 smoothly it can be because the game on your device is outdated. Check for the version in the properties section and then get the latest patch to resolve the issue.
2.Verification Of The Integrity Of Game Files
The missing or corrupted files can be a huge problem as well. If there are any of these on the system it is possible that they would trigger the error of launching. This problem can be fixed by checking the integrity of the game cache files that are giving problems while launching. It is not hard either and here are the points that you need to consider in verifying these:
- Check LIBRARY in the Steam Client.
- Open the Properties after right-clicking on Fallout 4.
- Click the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
- Don’t exit Steam until the game cache verification comes to an end.
- Relaunch the game to check if it is working properly. If this problem persists you may move on to the next solution.
Read More: Email Deliverability in Outlook
3.Handling Compatibility Settings
If you are trying to load Fallout 4 but it is constantly crashing then you may check the application’s properties and alter the compatibility settings to let the game run easily.
- Visit the game installation folder. If it is not there then you may check Steam, and then right-click on the game. Go to the section of Properties > Local Files > Browse local files.
- Open Fallout 4 .exe by right-clicking and then click on Properties.
- Open the Compatibility tab and then check Disable full-screen optimizations and Run this program as an administrator.
- You can now Change high DPI settings.
- Click on the box next to Override high DPI scaling behavior.
- Open the drop-down menu and choose Application from the “Scaling performed by:” Click OK.
- Save the changes by clicking Apply > OK.
4.Altering The In-Game Settings
If you are using demanding graphics settings then your gaming experience might not be the ones that you are looking for. If you have found the problem with launching and you think it is because of the graphics card then it is essential to lower the settings in Fallout 4. It would possibly remove the crashing problem. The settings that may create a difference in lowering are
- Actor fade
- Depth of field
- Rain occlusion
- Screen space reflections
- Object detail fade
- Lighting quality
5.Updating The Graphics Card Driver
The missing or outdated graphics card can cause the problem of launching too. Here is how you can correct the problem:
- Choose Win+X keys to go to the Device Manager from the menu list.
- Expand the Display adapters option.
- Select the Update driver by right-clicking on the graphics device.
- Click Search automatically in the pop-up window to find the updated driver software.
- If you are not able to update it with Windows you may try using the latest driver versions from Nvidia, AMD, or Intel.
- Let the update complete and then launch Fallout 4 to see if it works correctly.
Read More: Best Games to Play in 2021
If the Fallout settings are not appropriate then you may witness issues like lag, crashes, missing textures, and more. These problems can be easily resolved by following the given steps:
- Make sure the computer resolution matches with the resolution set in your Fallout 4.
- Go to the Graphics Adapter and Resolution section in Fallout 4 Options, and click Windowed Mode and Borderless. Save the changes by clicking OK.
- Click to Disable Intro Video and God rays in the Fallout 4 settings.
- Save the changes.
- Restart the game to check if the crashing issue is fixed.
Antivirus may help you with fighting the malware and the antivirus. It is essential to protect the system against all online and offline threats. Despite this protective nature, we cannot deny the fact that these antivirus applications may interfere with the normal working of Fallout. If you are shielding your system with any antivirus then temporarily disable it to prevent any interference.
One way of handling the problem is to add Fallout 4 to the exception list of antivirus.
We have drafted a comprehensive guide to help you with the resolution of the problems related to Fallout 4. Here we have added all possible solutions to fix the crashing issues. We hope it will help you in settling the issue and playing the game without any problem.
LiveWin is a popular Tech Blog where you can find the latest happenings in the Tech World whether be it about how to, software, gadgets, news, apps, reviews, gaming, etc. If you are a good writer and want to contribute then you can submit a guest post technology using the contact page.