One of the most important aspects when using the Internet is to consider its safety. This is true as well when choosing the software or tools to help speed up your working process. One of the most common online tools is the file converters that aid you in converting a specific file to another file format.
Unlike downloadable software, an online converter will ask you to upload your file or document on their cloud for them to do the conversion. This will surely make you think if it’s safe to trust these websites in making sure that your content is confidential and will not be used in any other way than just converting the file. You may worry about how long your file will be in their system and how else it will be used. If you have any questions about using an online Word to PDF converter, here is some information to help you decide.
Why Use An Online PDF Converter?
Aside from the fact that it is more convenient to go to a specific website and easily convert a file, using an online PDF converter is a lot cheaper than buying software for your desktop computer. Some software has limitations where you can only install it on a specific number of units and can only be used by a specific number of people. With an online converter, all you have to do is visit their website, log in to your account, and you can start using it. It doesn’t matter which computer or device you are using.
Furthermore, online PDF converters are a lot faster than desktop software. Its performance will also depend on the stability and functionality of your computer. If your computer is a little slow or if you have extended anti-virus software installed on your computer, it may slow down the entire process of converting the files. Whereas when you’re using an online converter, all you need is a good internet connection to take care of your business.
And since online PDF converters have become very popular, more and more developers are making sure of the quality of their sites to gather more users. It’s easier now to track down which sites are reliable compared to others.
How to Identify if the online PDF converter is safe?
Just like any other website, it is your duty, as a user, to make initial verifications if you are using a reliable and safe online converter. Here are some pointers to consider:
- Check the website’s URL: If you’ll see that the website address has “https” on it, then it signifies that the website is more secure and trustworthy. Though it’s not a guaranteed certification, it’s already a good indicator because phishing sites won’t be able to access SSLs.
- Check the padlock icon: If a website is secure, it will display a padlock icon on the address bar. You can also view the certificate and site settings of a particular website to make sure that it’s safe.
- Review the website URL: Avoid blindly clicking on search results. Before you upload any file or before you attempt to convert a file, assess the URL first. It’s ideal if the URL does not have any weird names or characters in it.
- Check the website’s content: Read the content of the website. A legitimate business will make sure to have no grammatical errors in the content, even for online PDF converters. Also, make sure that the information on the site is accurate such as definitions, addresses, contacts, etc.
- Avoid sites with a lot of advertisements: If a website wants you to convert to a PDF file easily, they wouldn’t need to put misleading CTAs and radio buttons. A trustworthy site should be user-friendly and not confusing. And, most importantly, it has minimal advertisements.
- Check reviews: You may not be able to find customer feedback on all websites, but what you can do is to Google the company name of the PDF converter and see what other users are saying about them.
Why trust an online PDF converter?
There is no generalization to say that online PDF converters are safe or not, but choosing the right one requires a bit of common sense. A legitimate online converter will solely serve its purpose and will not ask for any personal information from you. If you don’t feel safe uploading your files online, it’s best to do a bit of research first. That’s why it’s important to keep the pointers mentioned above and perform a couple of checks to make sure that you will have a secure PDF conversion. At the end of the day, it’s all about keeping confidential information secure and safe.
LiveWin is a popular Tech Blog where you can find the latest happenings in the Tech World whether be it about how to, software, gadgets, news, apps, reviews, gaming, etc. If you are a good writer and want to contribute then you can submit a guest post technology using the contact page.